10.14.2014

How Serving Others at Work Matters

My wife Ashley will tell you the biggest challenge I have had through this brain tumor and eventual removal in September 2014 has not been the medical pain, the possibility of cancer, the burden on our family, etc. My biggest challenge has been her getting what she needed to be strong and healthy through this. She has through her immense faith, incredible family and amazing friends. My rare quality of life is a product of God's plan, Him putting a great woman in my life and then the lessons I'm sharing here - in that order.

The second biggest challenge as a business owner has been, what eventually will be, 80 days off work. My last keynote was August 15, 2014 at Fort Hays State University in Kansas. My first time back on-stage will be November 4, 2014 on campus in Stillwater at Oklahoma State University. I grew up on a farm in Laverne, Oklahoma and started my speaking business in college in 1993. There has never been close to this many days in a row where I haven't contributed, served, improved, changed lives, etc. via keynotes, workshops, trainings and/or coaching. Many tumor patients have even more days, weeks and months without the ability to work.

Download image or PDF

How does this impact you? It is not about work. It is not about the 80 days.  It is about Strengthen Your Best.  The third of the three life actions designed to help you reach a rare quality of life. This one is about taking advantage of and creating opportunities to serve others to the best of your ability. I haven't created value in person with an audience member since August 15.  Work is not the only place you and I create value for others. My family of Ashley and our three daughters is home base for influence. However, this professional void has reminded me of the important contribution of serving others at work on my quality of life.  It matters.  How important is creating value today at your work place through serving others?

Strengthening Your Best and intentionally serving others at work changes lives. You are more than likely already a server, meaningful influencer and leader. Demonstrate that you enjoy it and let that enjoyment lead others to do the same. People who need to improve their quality of life at your work place need to see through you how serving others can contribute significantly to their quality of life. When you Strengthen Your Best and daily serve others where you are, you will never know the complete influence you are making on others. Take it from me, your time at work, with your family/friends, etc. should be treated as priceless. Make the most of it. 


Quality of life challenges for you today:

  1. Enjoy life. Enjoy work. No matter what comes your way, it is the intended plan.
  2. Give your purposeful best at work. It is where we spend the most time throughout our life. You absolutely never know when your 80 days might happen.
  3. Strengthen Your Best by serving others first, daily and where you are at work and at home.

1 comment:

Russ Knight said...

Glad you are writing and going to be back up on stage in Stillwater! Thank you for posting and sharing this, Rhett!