I will be traveling and speaking solid from May 16 to May 30. During this period my posts will be about what I'm learning, what I'm saying and how I'm saying it....
Key points from my 45-minute student leadership keynote last night at the Washington FFA State Convention:
Title: 3 Giant Jumps Every Great Student Leader Takes
1. Get in a relationship with your organization. Start to make a commitment by recognizing the size and depth of the organization (the FFA nationally has 500,000 members.)
2. Live for life, not just for today. Make some sacrifices and pick where you invest your time based on what will most benefit you in the long-term.
3. Risk big. Strive for achievements that will stretch you. Strive for excellence, but prepare emotionally in case you fall short.
My workshop today:
Title: How to Communicate Like a Master
1. Be confident in who you are and learn how to be the best of you when you communicate. This starts with self-awareness and seeking out opinions and input from trusted advisors.
2. Sharpen your listening skills. Get better at putting your focus on the other person when speaking one-on-one and on the audience when speaking in public.
3. Get experience communicating at multiple levels: one-on-one with strangers, public speaking, debate, constructive arguments, team brainstormings, etc. Experience it all.
Headed to Portland, Oregon tonight!