11.14.2007

General: Student Leader Questions


At a recent FCCLA event, a few student leaders asked these questions...

How do I keep from procrastinating?


  • Chunk down your duties into bite-size pieces and move your projects forward one bite at a time. Don't wait to work on something until you can do all of it at once. You will be waiting forever. Do the most difficult things first and use the TCOIN method of spending your time. Take Care Of It Now. If you can do something in two-minutes or less, do it now! (Refer to David Allen's Getting Things Done for more ideas like this one.)


How can I be friendly with people around me that have traits I don't like?

  • Focus on common ground you have with that person. How are you the same?


How do I get everybody to participate in fundraising events?

  • 80% of the work in any organization (particularly volunteer-based) gets done by 20% of the people. Your goal is not to get everybody involved. It is to give everyone the chance to get involved, make it easy for them to do so and then reward and celebrate those that do (your 20%).


How do I handle it when I don't have an answer for someone who looks up to me as a mentor?

  • People will respect you more when you are honest with them. Therefore, just tell them you don't know the answer, but take steps to help them found out the answer. Just because you don't know something doesn't make you less of a leader. There are literally billions of things you don't know.

(There are more to follow...)

No comments: